So, in a nutshell: I did it! (Cue victory dance.) Here's a brief recap of the experience:
- My route: I ran 3 miles from my starting point to just a few blocks away from my office, mostly by way of large main roads that cross the city.
- What went to the office on Monday: That basket up there, the hair dryer, the flat iron, a jar of course ground coffee and a personal french press to keep up my cold brew addiction, a container of coconut creamer for said coffee, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, a towel, and a bag with three work outfits plus undergarments.
- What I took with me on the run: That backpack up there plus the hand held water bottle, ear phones, iphone arm band, sunglasses, work shoes, lunch, ipad, iphone wallet, keys, and the hair brush I forgot to bring in on Monday.
- Things I didn't anticipate: The weight of the backpack slowed me down a bit. Even as the palest person I know I forgot to put on sunscreen. The backpack created new chafing spots that I didn't even know were possible. And so. many. stop. lights.
- What I loved about it: I got a lot of high fives - center city runners are so nice! Even though it was still a hot and humid run, the temperature was way more tolerable than during midday runs. And the best part? I was done with my day's workout before I even started my work day!
- What I will tweak: My next run is supposed to be 4.5 miles so my route is going to have to be lengthened, but I also want to find a way to avoid the big streets that are just light after light after light. I'm also going to try to pack less in the bag - being weighted down by a tiny backpack should not be a factor. And also SUNSCREEN.
- Overall: I'm so glad I did this. It felt like I was finally making it work with the run training. I'm hoping to fit in two more run commutes this week, and after looking at my schedule, I think one of them might be a reverse commute after work.
- What I need from you: My Rhapsody playlists need some serious updating. What's your favorite running song?